Awards/Appointments/Places in News July 2016
- Rodrigo Duterte sworn-in as the 16th President of Phillipines on June 30, 2016.
- He won the Presidential election in May by 16 million votes, or about 38%, an unassailable lead that forced his three opponents to throw in the towel one after the other.
- NS Vishwanatxhan was appointed Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), replacing HR Khan on June 28, 2016.
- Vishwanathan, currently Executive Director at the Central bank, was chosen by a search committee headed by Cabinet Secretary. This is the first appointment done through this high-level panel.
- The RBI has four deputy governors : two internal appointments (HR Khan and R. Gandhi), one commercial banker (former Bank of Baroda Chairman SS Mundra) and an economist to head the monetary policy department (Urjit Patel).
- SoftBank apocfinted Ken Miyauchi, head of the group’s Japanese telecommunications operations on June 22, 2016. He replaced Nikesh Arora as President and Chief Operating Officer (COO).
- He was also reportedly criticised by a SoftBank investor for pumping huge money in India and one of the investment went through rough weather in a realty business-based web portal.
- Arora, who has been instrumental in SoftBank’s investments in Indian entities like Snapdcal, Ola, Grofers, Housing.com and Oyo Rooms.
- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad named Electricity Minister Imad Khamis as the new Prime Minister of Syria on June 22, 2016.
- He served as Syria’s Minister of electricity since 2011 and is an electrical engineer by trade.
- Since March, 2012, he has been sanctioned by the European Union, which accuses “him of sharing responsibility for the regime’s violent repression against the civilian population.
Hey, I am Mansi Agarwal – owner of this site. I am basically from Lucknow. I did B.Tech and now working as a full time blogger. Blogging is my passion and my permanent job also. If you have any suggestion for the improvement of this site then feel free to tell me. You can connect with me on FB and Twitter for more updates.