Awards/Appointments/Places in News July 2016
- Rodrigo Duterte sworn-in as the 16th President of Phillipines on June 30, 2016.
- He won the Presidential election in May by 16 million votes, or about 38%, an unassailable lead that forced his three opponents to throw in the towel one after the other.
- NS Vishwanatxhan was appointed Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), replacing HR Khan on June 28, 2016.
- Vishwanathan, currently Executive Director at the Central bank, was chosen by a search committee headed by Cabinet Secretary. This is the first appointment done through this high-level panel.
- The RBI has four deputy governors : two internal appointments (HR Khan and R. Gandhi), one commercial banker (former Bank of Baroda Chairman SS Mundra) and an economist to head the monetary policy department (Urjit Patel).
- SoftBank apocfinted Ken Miyauchi, head of the group’s Japanese telecommunications operations on June 22, 2016. He replaced Nikesh Arora as President and Chief Operating Officer (COO).
- He was also reportedly criticised by a SoftBank investor for pumping huge money in India and one of the investment went through rough weather in a realty business-based web portal.
- Arora, who has been instrumental in SoftBank’s investments in Indian entities like Snapdcal, Ola, Grofers, Housing.com and Oyo Rooms.
- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad named Electricity Minister Imad Khamis as the new Prime Minister of Syria on June 22, 2016.
- He served as Syria’s Minister of electricity since 2011 and is an electrical engineer by trade.
- Since March, 2012, he has been sanctioned by the European Union, which accuses “him of sharing responsibility for the regime’s violent repression against the civilian population.