Sports Current Affairs December 2016
TENNIS Current Affairs
China Open 2016
- Andy Murray won 2016 China Open men’s singles title by defeating Grigor Dimitrov on October 9, 2016. China Open is held annually. It is a tennis tournament which is played at Beijing.
- While Agnieszka Radwanska won women’s singles title.
- Murray became the first British player since 1977, and the first British man since 1936, to win a Grand Slam singles tournament, when he defeated Novak Djokovic in the final.
- In July, 2013, Murray won the 2013 Wimbledon Championships, becoming the first British player to win a Wimbledon senior singles title since Virginia Wade in 1977, and the first British man to win the men’s singles title since Fred Perry, 77 years previously.
- In 2016, he won his second Wimbledon title to become the first British man to win multiple Wimbledon singles titles since Perry in 1935.
CRICKET Current Affairs
India-New Zealand ODI Series 2016
- India won the five-match ODI series against New Zealand, 3-2 on October 29, 2016. In the fifth match played at Visakhapatnam, India defeated New Zealand by 190 runs. In the final match, New Zealand was bowled out for 79 in 23.1 overs. It was New Zealand’s lowest ODI total against India.
- ‘Player of the Series’ was Amit Mishra (India). Indian team’s jersey in the fifth and final ODI match was the most important. In a gesture of respect towards women, the Indian cricketers were wearing their mother’s names on the back of their jerseys.
India-New Zealand Test Series 2016
- India registered another emphatic series victory by beating New Zealand in the third Test with an impressive margin of 3-0.
- India won by 321 runs against New Zealand in third Test at Indore. This is the second biggest victory for India in Tests in terms of runs. India’s biggest win in Tests in terms of runs came against South Africa by 337 runs at Delhi in December, 2015.
- This is also India’s biggest win in terms of runs against New Zealand. 4th time India whitewashed any team in a three-match Test series. Previous whitewashes by India in three-match series came over England in 1993 (3-0), Sri Lanka in 1994 (3-0) and Australia in 2013 (4-0).
Check Also – Daily Current Affairs.