Best Book for CAT Exams Preparation 2017
Common Aptitude Test (CAT) 2017 is Aptitude Test for admission in various Indian Institute of Managements. The test scores the candidate on basis of Quantitative Aptitude (QA), Verbal Aptitude (VA), Reading Comprehensive (RA), Data Interpretation (DI), and Logical Reasoning (LI).
This exam was started by Indian Institute of Management (IIM’s) and use the test scores for selecting students for the business administration programs. On a policy of rotation, this exam is conducted each year by a one of the IIM’S. The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT’s) and Indian Institute of Science (IISc) would also use this test score to select students for their management programs.
Exam Format of CAT 2017 Exam
CAT is a computer based exam that consists of 100 questions.
Verbal Ability: The Verbal Ability section comprises of questions on comprehension and usage of standard English grammar. Reading comprehension, verbal reasoning, syllogisms, analogies, antonyms and synonyms, fill in the blanks, sentence correction, idioms, etc.
Quant Ability: Comprises of fundamental mathematics, based on 10 + 2 difficulty level. Includes Number systems, geometry, trigonometry, probability, permutation combination, algebra, time and work, averages, percentages, profit and loss, quadratic and linear equations, etc.
Data Interpretation: This section comprises of questions which are based on the given data. The data given is in the form of graphs, charts, tables and paragraphs.It has question on Interpretation and analysis of data based on text, tables, graphs (line, area), charts (column, bar, pie), venn diagram, etc.
Logical Reasoning: Logical Reasoning questions check the candidate’s ability to analyze and evaluate problems. Clocks, binary logic, logical sequence, calender, assumption, premise, conclusion, linear and matrix arrangement, seating arrangement, blood relations, etc.
There are 3 sections in the test they are,
- Quantitative Ability (QA)
- Verbal and Reading Comprehension (VRC), and
- Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DI and LR).
The total duration of the test is 180 minutes only. Though, each section of the test has a time limit. The test takers cannot switch between the sections. The test is to be attended in a particular order. The order of the sections is-
- DI & LR, and
Note: As per the marking scheme, each question carries four marks and there is negative marking of 1 mark for each wrong answer. There is no negative marking for the non-MCQ questions.
Best Books for CAT Exams Preparation:-
There are different books of array of publishers and authors that are famous among students. The category of books is divided according to the subjects. Let us have a look at the some of the books for different sections of CAT. These will support you to have CAT section wise preparation in the best way.
Top Books for Quantitative Aptitude
- The best book in market for this subject is Arun Sharma Quantitative Aptitude by Tata McGraw Hills. This book is easy to understand. This book has been divided into six sections, which are: Numbers, Averages and Mixtures, Arithmetic and Word-based problems, Geometry, Algebra and Counting. These sections have further been broken down chapters and exercises related to each main section.
- Further for the basics students can refer NCERT books from class 6th to class 10th.
- Abhijit Guha’s book:Quantitative Aptitude For Competitive Examinations. There are numerous tips and tricks given in this book. So refer to this only if you have sufficient time left for examination.
- The Pearson Guide to Quantitative Aptitude for CAT by Nishit Sinha is quite good in terms of practise questions.
Top Books for Data Interpretation
TMH’s How To Prepare For The Data Interpretation by Arun Sharma is another good book for these topics.
Data Interpretation is one of the key topics of CAT examination. This book covers all the topics along with explanations, examples and practice questions. The book is divided into 12 sections:
- Basic Modes of Data Representation,
- Developing Your Calculations,
- DI Exercises (Without Options),
- Training Ground- Mathematical Constructs in Data Interpretation,
- Ten Minute Test Papers,
- Model Test Papers – Based on the Latest CAT Pattern,
- DI Questions from Other MBA Exams,
- Challenges in Data Interpretation,
- Data Sufficiency, Previous Years Question Papers (DI Portion) – 2003–2008,
- Sample Papers Based on 2009/2010 Pattern and Model Test Paper (Based on the Latest Online Pattern).
Top Books for Verbal Reasoning and Reading Comprehension
This section basically tests the English language skills of the students. The questions are divided into two parts, Reading Comprehension and English Usage. The English Usage questions can be further classified into Vocabulary, Grammar and Verbal Reasoning. The books to prepare for this subject are :-
- How to Prepare for the Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT by Arun Sharma and Meenakshi Upadhyay (Tata McGraw-Hill) .
- Nishit Sinha’s The Pearson Guide to Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning (Pearson) covers a wide range of topics explained in an easy-to-understand manner.
- Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis.
- Barron’s Pocket Guide to Vocabulary.
Top Books for Logical Reasoning
- How to Prepare for Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning for CAT (Tata McGraw-Hill) by Arun Sharma. This book covers all the fundamental concepts of Logical Reasoning.
- Trishna’s Verbal Ability And Logical Reasoning For The CAT And Other MBA Examinations by TIME Publisher: Pearson
The CAT exam 2016 admission process include Written Ability Test (WAT), Group Discussion (GD) and Personal Interviews (PI). Performance in written CAT 2016 examination is an important component in the CAT admission process. The academic cut-offs and weights allocated to the evaluation may differ across IIM’s.
Start preparing with these textbooks and keep practicing. Start with a good planning as this initial stage is important. Keep solving mock papers and previous year papers to get good percentile in CAT 2017. You can start by brushing up the basics and then moving towards particular sections and chapters. Strictly adhere to the time table.