International Current Affairs January 2017
World’s First Bollywood-themed Park Opened in Dubai
- The world’s first Bollywood Park has just been opened in Dubai on November 22, 2016. The lively park boasts cinemas, a theatre, rides, simulators as well as 4D shows reminiscent of popular Hindi movies.
- Bollywood Park is part of Dubai Parks and Resorts (DPR) which is the region’s ‘largest integrated theme park resort’.
- The park will target visitors passing through Dubai and aims to ‘keep them a little bit longer’.
Russia Withdraw its Membership from International Criminal Court
- Vladimir Putin signed an executive order withdrawing Russia’s signature from the 2000 Rome Statute, which established the ICC on November 16, 2016.
- It had lost trust in the court over its handling of an investigation into the five day war between Russia and Georgia in 2008, saying that it had not properly investigated alleged Georgian crimes.
- The International Criminal Court was set up by international treaty in 2000 to prosecute war crimes, crimes against humanity, and genocide.
China to Import Rice from 17 Registered Mills in India
- China has confirmed its decision to import rice from 17 registered mills in India to ensure market access to Indian products in China.
- China will import both basmati and non-basmati rice from the mills located in Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.
- China is the world’s largest rice importer but India’s non-basmati rice did not get access to Chinese market as the item failed to meet Chinese norms on quality, health and safety. China feared of the possibility of the transportation of Khapra beetle (or Cabinet beetle) pest along with Indian non-basmati rice.
- However, after numerous requests from the India, Chinese officials from Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQS1Q) visited India in September to inspect 19 rice mills registered with the National Plant Protection Organisation (NPPO).
Al Ain Oasis Opened to Public as UNESCO World Heritage Site
- The Al Ain Oasis was opened to the public as the UAE’s first UNESCO World Heritage site by Shaikh Tahnoun Bin Mohammad Al Nahyan, Abu Dhabi Ruler’s Representative in the Eastern Region on November 15, 2016.
- In 2011, Al Ain was the first site in the UAE to be inscribed on UNESCO’s world heritage site list, comprising of four locations : the Bronze-Age Hafit Tombs, the archaeological settlements at Hili, the prehistoric vestiges at Bidaa Bint Saud, and the six lush oases of Al Ain, including Al Ain Oasis.
- It is one of the world’s oldest permanently inhabited settlements that dates back to more than 4000 years. It covers over 1200 hectares and contains more than 147000 date palm trees, of up to 100 different varieties.
Sweden could be First with National Digital Currency
- World’s oldest central bank. Central Bank of Sweden is taking step to launch a national digital currency e-krona on November 19, 2016 to solve the problem of a dramatic drop in the domestic use of cash.
- The amount of notes and coins in circulation has fallen by 40% since 2009, with a rise in online shopping and card payments.
- The digital currency may be introduced within two years. Sweden become the first major country to give consumers direct access to virtual money issued by a Central bank.
- While, banks are currently given access to electronic money by the Central bank, if Sweden does choose to introduce the ‘ekrona’, it would be the first time a major country in the world has given consumers direct access to virtual money issued by a Central bank.
Hey, I am Mansi Agarwal – owner of this site. I am basically from Lucknow. I did B.Tech and now working as a full time blogger. Blogging is my passion and my permanent job also. If you have any suggestion for the improvement of this site then feel free to tell me. You can connect with me on FB and Twitter for more updates.