Complete India and World Current Affairs April 2017
India and Germany Ratified 2011 Agreement on Social Security
- India and Germany ratified a comprehensive Social Security Agreement (SSA), to come into effect from May, to improve investment flows between the two countries, on February 24, 2017.
- The agreement establishes the rights and obligations of nationals of both countries and provides for their equal treatment and unrestricted payment of pensions even in case of residence in the other contracting State (benefits export principle).
- India signed and operationalised similar agreements with 18 countries, including Australia, Canada, France, Germany and Japan.
India Signed Financing Agreement with World Bank for $ 63 Million for Tejaswini
- A Financing Agreement for IDA credit of $ 63 million (equivalent) for the ‘Tejaswini’ Socio-Economic Empowerment of Adolescent Girls and Young Women Project was signed with the World Bank on February 23, 2017.
- The project seeks to empower the adolescent girls with basic life skills and thereafter provide further opportunities to acquire market driven skill training or completion of secondary education, depending on the inclination of the beneficiary.
- The project will be delivered in 17 districts of Jharkhand. The project has three main components, (i) Expanding social, educational and economic opportunities (ii) Intensive service delivery (iii) State capacity-building and implementation support.
- About 680000 adolescent girls and young women in the project districts are expected to benefit from the programme.
India and Bangladesh Signed MoU for Development of Sylhet
- India agreed to provide financial assistance to Bangladesh for the sustainable development of Sylhet, a North-eastern Bangladeshi dty on February 24, 2017.
- Under the project in Sylhet, the Indian government will provide financial aid for the construction of a five-storey Kinder Garten and High School Building, a six-storey cleaner colony building; and for some development work in Dhupa Dighirpar area at a total cos.t of around Taka 240 million.
- Sylhet is an ancient city and a historically vibrant city. It had been a part of the former Assam province of India. It has been a focal point for 1971 Liberation War.
Air Services Agreement Signed between India and Greece
- The Union government approved the signing of Air Services Agreement (ASA) between India and Greece on February 22, 2017.
- The agreement has the potential to spur greater trade, investment, tourism and cultural exchange between the two countries bringing it in tune with the developments in the civil aviation sector.
- It will provide enabling environment for enhanced and seamless connectivity while providing commercial opportunities to the carriers of both the sides ensuring “greater safety and security.
- The designated airlines of either country shall have the right to establish offices in the territory of the other country for the promotion end sale of air services.
- The designated airlines of the two countries shall have fair and equal opportunity to operate the agreed services on specified routes.
Read Also – Indian Railway Question Paper