Combined Defense Services CDS Syllabus and Exam Pattern
UPSC CDS (II) Syllabus and Exam Pattern Details:
UPSC conducts the Combined Defence Services Examination for recruiting new candidates every year for the Indian Army, Navy and Air Force. This year, CDS II examination will be conducted on 26th October. Interested candidates can start applying for various posts from UPSC website.
Since, only a few months are left for the UPSC CDS (II) exam, it is important to shed some light on the basic exam pattern and syllabus for the exam. The selection procedure for CDS (II) is going to be same as that of CDS (I). Candidates will have to pass the written examination with good marks to make it to the merit list. The final selection will depend on how the candidates perform in interview/ personality test of the UPSC CDS (II) exam.
Read Also – UPSC CAPF Previous Year Questions Papers
UPSC CDS (II) Syllabus 2017
UPSC CDS (II) syllabus for the papers English and General knowledge is considered to be comparatively easy whereas Elementary Mathematics’ syllabus is quite vast. In order to crack the UPSC CDS (II) examination, you need to increase your knowledge and work on mathematics topics. The subject in details has been explained below.
Paper I: English
This section consists of basic understanding of English and verbal ability.
Paper II: General Knowledge
Knowledge of current events and of everyday observation and experience in your scientific aspects. The Paper will also include questions on History of India and Geography.
Also Get – SPIPA Civil Services Question Papers
Paper III: Elementary Mathematics
- Arithmetic: Number System-Natural numbers, Integers, Rational and Real numbers. Fundamental Operations addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, Square roots, Decimal, fractions. Unitary method, time and distance, time and work, percentages, applications to simple and compound interest, profit and loss, ratio and proportion, variation.
- Elementary Number Theory: Division algorithm. Prime and composite numbers. Tests of divisibility by 2, 3,4,5,9 and 11. Multiples and factors. Factorisation Theorem. H.C.F. and L.C.M. Euclidean algorithm, Logarithms to base 10, laws of logarithms, use of logarithmic tables.
- Algebra: Basic Operations, simple factors, Remainder Theorem, H.C.F., L.C.M. Polynomial Theory, Quadratic equations solutions, relation between its roots and coefficients. Simultaneous linear equations in two unknowns-analytical and graphical solutions. Simultaneous linear in equations in two variables and their solutions. Practical problems leading to two simultaneous linear equations or in equations in two Variables or quadratic equations in one variable & their solutions. Trigonometry: Sine x, cosine x, Tangent x when 0 <x < 90 Values of sin x, cos x and tan x, for x = 0, 30, 45, 60 and 90. Simple trigonometric identities. Use of trigonometric tables. Simple cases of heights and distances.
- Geometry: Lines and angles, Plane and plane figures, Theorems on (i) Properties of angles at a Point(ii) Parallel lines, (iii) Sides and angles of a triangle, (iv) Congruency of triangles, (v) Similar triangles, (vi) Concurrence of medians and altitudes, (vii) Properties of angles, sides and diagonals of a parallelogram, rectangle and square (viii) Circles and its properties including tangents and normal, (ix) Loci.
- Mensuration: Areas of squares, rectangles, parallelograms, triangle and circle. Areas of figures which Can be split up into these figures (Field Book), Surface area and volume of cuboids, lateral surface and volume of right circular cones and cylinders, surface area and Volume of spheres.
- Statistics: Collection and tabulation of statistical data, Graphical representation, frequency Polygons, histograms, bar charts, pie charts etc. Measures of central tendency.
All the syllabus and the pattern has been above. We Hope this article provides you with all the necessary details regarding the UPSC CDS (II) exam pattern and syllabus.
Visit Current-Affairs.org for the current affairs, previous year question papers, online quiz for the competitive exams and many more. If you need more question paper comment down your email id.