- Alcides Edgardo Ghiggia, Uruguayan soccer legend has died on July 16, 2015 at the age of 88.
- He scored the winning goal in the final game of the 1950 World Cup to give Uruguay a stunning 2-1 victory over Brazil. It is still recalled as Brazil’s greatest defeat.
- He was the last surviving Uruguayan player from the match died on the 65th anniversary of the game.
- He was honored by the Uruguayan congress as a national hero a half decade later at the age of 80.
- Veteran music composer of Tamil Nadu MS Viswanathan, passed away on July 14, 2015 at the age of 88.
- Viswanathan was a much sought after music director, composed music for over 1700 films in Tamil, Malayalam and Kannada.
- He also composed music for the State song of the government of Tamil Naduthe : Neerarum Kadalodutha. He has worked with four Chief Ministers.
- Omar Sharif an Egyptian actor, who came into the limelight with his role in David Lean’s ‘Lawrence of Arabia’ and the lead role in ‘Doctor Zhivago’, has died on July 10, 2015 at the age of 83 years.
- He started his career in Egyptian films in 1953 with ‘Sira Fi al-Wadi’ (‘The Blazing Sun’) opposite leading actress Faten Hamama, whom he married in 1954 after converting to Islam.
- Basharat Nawaz Khan, popularly known as Bashar Nawaz, a renowned Urdu poet, critic and orator has died on July 9, 2015 at the age of 80 years. He penned the hugely popular song ‘Karoge Yaad’ in the film ‘Bazaar’.
- He has written lyrics for a few Hindi films such as ‘Bazaar’, ‘Lori’ and ‘Jane Wafa’. Renowned singers Ghulam Ali, Lata Mageshkar, lyiohd Aziz, Asha Bhosale, Talat Aziz, Bhupinder and Mehdi Hasan among others have sung his ghazals.
Prince Saud Al Faisal
- Prince Saud Al Faisal, the world’s longest serving Saudi Arabia’s former Foreign Minister has died on July 9, 2015 at the age of 75.
- He was retired in April, 2015 following his 40 years on the job.
- He was closely involved in philanthropy and was a founding member of the King Faisal Foundation and Chairman of the Board of Directors for the King Faisal School and Al Faisal University in Riyadh.
- Abdullah Hussain, whose real name was Mohammad Khan, an eminent.Pakistani Urdu novelist, who authored the bestseller and critically-acclaimed ‘Udas Naslain’ passed away on July 4, 2015 at the age of 84 years.
- He will also be remembered for his other famous novels i.e., ‘Baagh’, ‘Nadaar Loag’ and short stories ‘Faraib and Nashaib’.
- The film ‘Wapsi Ka Safari was also based on a story penned by Hussain. Hussain was given Prime Minister’s Lifetime Achievement Award in 2015.
- Veteran actress Diana Douglas, who appeared in dozens of films and TV shows including ‘Planes, Trains and Automobiles, ‘ER’ and ‘The West Wing’, has died on July 3, 2015 at the age of 92.
- She was born in Bermuda. She had studied at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York. She began her career with Warner Bros, and modelled on the cover of Life Magazine in 1943.
- She is mother of Oscar winning actor Michael Douglas and Joel Douglas. She officially retired from showbiz in 2008 at the age of 85.
We hope you like Current Affairs August 2015 Smart Practice Part 4, give your feedback in comments and keep visiting current affairs.