Centre Notified Stringent Rules to Manage e-Waste
- Considering the ‘phenomenal’ growth of e-waste in the country, the Centre notified the revised e-waste management rules 2016 on March 23, 2016 under which improper management of such refuse leading to environment damage and will invite financial penalty.
- A Deposit Refund Scheme has been introduced under which the producer of any computer, mobile phone or other electronic product will have to persuade consumers to return the products after usage for a small sum.
- CFL and other mercury lamps have been brought within the ambit of the e-waste management rules 2016 and the 2016 rules are in supersession of the e-waste (Management and Handling) Rules, 2011.
Government Notified Aadhar Act
- The Union government has notified the new Aadhar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and other Subsidies, benefits and services). Act, 2016 on March 26, 2016. The Aadhar Bill for this act was approved by Parliament on March 16, 2016. It was tabled in Parliament as Money Bill.
- It will provide for efficient, transparent, and targeted delivery of subsidies, benefits and services, the expenditure for which is incurred from the Consolidated Fund of India, to individuals residing in India through assigning of unique identity numbers to such individuals.
- However, those individuals to whom Aadhar number has not been assigned, shall be offered alternate and viable means of identification for delivery of the subsidy, benefit or service. The Act has provision that both Central and State governments can use Aadhar for disbursal for benefits and subsidies.
Prime Minister Modi Inaugurated a Power Transmission Project
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Bangladesh Premier Sheikh Hasina inaugurated a power transmission project between the two countries Connecting Hearts on March 23, 2016 via video-conferencing, the 2nd cross border transmission interconnection system between India and Bangladesh. This will link Suijyamamnagar in Tripura with South Comilla in Bangladesh.
- This 100 MW power connectivity between Bangladesh and Palatana (ip Tripura), is yet another link between the two countries. India is already supplying 500 MW of power across the Behrampur-Behramara transmission link on the border between West Bengal and Bangladesh.
- The new power connectivity from Palatana will allow Bangladesh to address severe power shortages in its South-Eastern parts. The decisions for this project were taken during Modi’s visit to Dhaka in June, 2015.
Cabinet Nod to India-UAE Agreement on Infrastructure Fund
- The Union Cabinet on March 23, 2016 approved the MoU between India and the UAE signed on February 11, 2016, to mobilise long-term investment into the National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF).
- The MoU mentioned the establishment of UAE-India Infrastructure Investment Fund, with the aim of reaching a target of $ 75 billion to support investment in India’s plans for rapid expansion of next generation infrastructure, especially in railways, ports, roads, airports and industrial corridors and parks.
- Objective of NIIF is to maximise economic impact mainly through infrastructure development in commercially viable projects, both greenfield and brownfield, including stalled projects. NIIF would solicit equity participation from strategic anchor partners.
- The Cabinet approved the creation of the National Investment and infrastructure Fund (NIIF) In July, 2015. The MoU was signed during the visit of prime minister Narendra Modi to UAE on August 16 to 17,2015.