Kamalani Dung, the professional softball player, was born on March 4, 1997, in Hawaii, to Lance Dung and Honey Rodriguez
She grew up in Waianae, where she lived with her parents and younger brother, Lance Jr. Kamalani’s passion for softball started when she was just ten years old.
She taught herself to pitch unconventionally by watching YouTube videos, and by the age of 14, she was playing competitive softball.
Table of Contents
Shohei Ohtani: Wife Kamalani Dung
Kamalani’s Journey to High School Softball
Kamalani’s hard work and dedication to softball did not go unnoticed, and she became a softball player for Kamehameha Kapalama High School.1
She played softball for four years at the high school, where she captained her team to three Division 1 Conference Championships.
Kamalani’s College Years
After finishing high school, Kamalani moved on to college, where she continued playing softball.
She spent her freshman and sophomore years playing softball at Fresno State before transferring to the University of California for her junior and senior years.
Kamalani’s Professional Softball Career
Kamalani Dung is currently playing professional softball in the Athletes Unlimited League, and she is also a member of the Puerto Rican national softball team.
Her hard work, dedication, and champion mindset have earned her a place among the top softball players in the world.
Kamalani’s Connection to Shohei Ohtani
In 2018, Kamalani Dung shared a photo with Shohei Ohtani on her Instagram profile, which sparked rumors of a possible relationship between the two.
The rumors resurfaced in 2021 after Kamalani liked a tweet by the Angels celebrating Ohtani’s ESPY win for “Best MLB Player!” As a self-proclaimed fan of Ohtani, Kamalani sarcastically tweeted, questioning who leaked the information to the magazines that she was Ohtani’s girlfriend.
However, Kamalani later clarified that there was no romantic relationship between her and Ohtani, and she was simply a big fan of the athlete.
Kamalani Dung’s passion for softball started at a young age, and her hard work and dedication have earned her a place among the top softball players in the world.
Her journey to softball stardom has been an inspiration to many, and her connection to Shohei Ohtani has only added to her popularity.
Shohei Ohtani: Bio
Uncovering the Early Life and Roots of a Baseball Phenom
Shohei Ohtani, the two-way star of the Los Angeles Angels, has become a dominant force in Major League Baseball.2
But before he became a sensation in the United States, Ohtani was a young boy with a passion for baseball in his hometown of Ōshū, Iwate, Japan.
Early Life and Family Background
On July 5, 1994, Kayoko and Toru Ohtani welcomed their son Shohei into the world. Kayoko, Ohtani’s mother, was a skilled badminton player who competed at the national level during her high school years.
Meanwhile, Toru, Ohtani’s father, was an amateur baseball player who participated in the Japanese Industrial League.
As a child, Ohtani showed an immense interest in baseball, and his parents supported his passion for the sport.
They enrolled him in Hanamaki Higashi High School, located in the Iwate Prefecture of Japan, where he honed his skills as a pitcher.
Rise to Fame in Japan
- Ohtani’s talent as a pitcher became apparent during the 2012 Japanese national high school baseball championship tournament, also known as Summer Koshien.
- As an 18-year-old, he threw a 160 km/h (99 mph) fastball, garnering the attention of baseball enthusiasts across the country.
- In the same year, Ohtani represented Japan in the 18U Baseball World Championship. Though his team did not emerge victorious, Ohtani’s performance was impressive.
- In 10⅓ innings pitched, he had an 0–1 win-loss record with 16 strikeouts, eight walks, five hits, five runs, and a 4.35 earned run average.
- Ohtani’s performance in these tournaments set the stage for his professional baseball career, and he eventually signed with the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters in 2012.
- Shohei Ohtani’s early life and family background played a significant role in his rise to prominence as a baseball player. His parents’ support and his own passion for the sport paved the way for him to become a two-way star in Major League Baseball.
- As he continues to make waves in the United States, it’s essential to remember the roots and journey that led him to where he is today.