- 0.1 UPSC IES Exams Mains Previous Year Question Papers
- 1 UPSC – IES Previous Year Question and Sample Model Papers
UPSC IES Exams Mains Previous Year Question Papers
The Indian Engineering Services are part of the Civil Services of India that come under the technical and management verticals of the Indian Government. Like several other nations, India hires its civil recruits and officers on the basis of merit, while the central vacancies are filled on the basis of competitive exams. The exam conducted by the Indian Government is renound for being one of the toughest in the world, with a selection percentage in mere decimals. Needless to say, a career in the IES remains the most sought after among the plethora of engineering graduates in India. Due to a hardened selection procedure, IES officials are highly regarded and can control activities in a variety of fields. IES officials are appointed by the Union Government as referred to by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
UPSC Engineering Services Mains Exam Pattern
Potential candidates willing to appear for the UPSC examination can apply through the online portal only. No offline registrations are available. The application fee is rupees 200 for general category males whole no fee whatsoever is required for reserved and female applicants. The test is held in a number of test centres in June every year, the details of which are available on the official UPSC website.There has been a recent change in the scheme and syllabus of the exam based on the expertise of recommended committees in the Government of India.The exam is conducted in two stages followed by a personality test. The first stage of the examination is common to all candidates. It is a two hour long general studies and engineering aptitude paper of 200 marks. This is then followed by a disciple specific paper for different streams of engineering. It is slightly longer, stretching on for three hours, with maximum marks being 300. The candidates who qualify the minimum requirements for the preliminary stage are allowed to give the mains.
The mains are a conventional type paper constituting stage 2 of the examination process. It consists of two separate papers, both of which are engineering discipline specific. Both the papers are three hours long with maximum marks 300. Thus, the combined marks out of 600 determine the eligibility of the candidate to qualify for the next stage. This is followed by the personality test, which is the final stage of the examination.
Exam Syllabus for UPSC Engineering Services Mains
- Civil Engineering: Building materials, solid mechanics, structural analysis, steel structures, concrete and masonry structures, and construction practice. Flow of fluids, hydraulics, water resources engineering, environmental engineering, waste water, solid waste management, foundation engineering and transportation engineering.
- Mechanical Engineering: fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, refrigeration, cooling, turbo machines, power plants, renewable energy. Engineering mechanics, Engineering materials, Machines, machine elements, industry, and robotics.
- Electrical Engineering: engineering mathematics, electrical materials, circuits and fields, measurements, computer fundamentals. Analogue and digital engineering, systems and signal processing, control system, power systems, power electronics and drives.
- Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering: Basic electronics engineering, electrical engineering, materials science, instrumentalization, network theory, digital circuits.
How to prepare for UPSC Engineering Services Mains
Eligible candidates should focus on the stream of their choice and start preparation early. One should focus on understanding the content first and then doing a number of practice questions to get an idea of what is usually asked. Instead of buying a myriad of books and getting confused, one should focus on one or two recommended books and devour them completely. After a completion of studying the content, one should always take practice tests and past ten years papers. Stimulate proper testing conditions and time yourself to get the best results.
UPSC – IES Previous Year Question and Sample Model Papers
Union Public Service Commision invites application for ORA – Online Recruitment Applications against available vacancies. Age limit, Minimum Qualification, Eligibility criteria and Application fee are subjective to the application from various backgrounds.
The Indian Engineering Services exam pattern and exam syllabus are given below. A thorough knowledge of these is a must before starting preparation.
Get: UPSC Question Papers
Exam Pattern of UPSC Engineering Services
Union PSC IES Prelims Exam Pattern 2018
Stage 1 or preliminary exam will be an objective type paper. This stage will have two question papers which will constitute a total of 500 Marks. Paper 1 – 200 marks and Paper 2 – 300 marks. Syllabus for UPSC Prelims is given in UPSC IES Syllabus section. Paper 1 is a General Studies paper and Paper 2 will be Engineering Aptitude.
Only candidates declared by the commission can appear for the Mains Exam. Students need to clear the cut off marks states by the commission to be selected for next level. The result of Stage 1 exam will be used for calculation of merit list
|S. No||Exam Type||Papers||Subject Names||Marks||Exam Duration|
|1.||Objective Type||Paper-1||General Studies||200||2 Hours|
|3.||Paper-2||Concerned Subject||300||3 Hours|
|Total Marks||500||5 Hours|
UPSC IES Mains Exam Pattern 2018
Stage 2 or mains exams is a conventional exam that has questions only from one of the chosen subject of Engineering. There will be two papers for 300 Marks each from selected discipline of Engineering.
|S. No||Exam Type||Papers||Subject Names||No. of Marks||Duration|
|1.||Conventional Type||Paper-1||Concerned Engineering Discipline||300||3 Hours|
|2.||Paper-2||Engineering Discipline specific||300||3 Hours|
|Total Marks||600||6 Hours|
General Studies Syllabus:-
- Current issues of national and international importance relating to social, economic and industrial development
- Engineering Aptitude covering Logical reasoning and Analytical ability
- Engineering Mathematics and Numerical Analysis
- General Principles of Design, Drawing, Importance of Safety
- Standards and Quality practices in production, construction, maintenance and services
- Basics of Energy and Environment: Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, Climate Change, Environmental impact
- Basics of Project Management
- Basics of Material Science and Engineering
- Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) based tools and their applications in Engineering such as networking, e-governance and technology based education.
- Ethics and values in Engineering profession
Must Read: How to Prepare for UPSC Interview
Download UPSC Engineering Services Question Paper PDF
As UPSC exam is conducted in four streams, we provide you previous year question papers of UPSC IES exam for all these branches. Click on respective links are download the previous year question paper.
As all exams of UPSC IES will be under time limit and competition has been increased ever since. To overcome the drawback to part question paper left unsolved due to time limit can be done by using previous year paper to your advantage. Solve these paper as you would on exam day with time constraint and concentration. This habit will help you improve time management.
Visit Current-Affairs.org for the current affairs, previous year question papers, online quiz for the competitive exams and many more. If you need more question paper comment down your email id.