Sports Current Affairs February 2017
Fourth Mubadala World Championship 2016
- Rafael Nadal concluded his prolonged pre-season in the perfect style by successfully defending his Mubadala World Tennis Championship title with victory over David Goffin on December 31, 2016.
- He has won 14 Grand Slam singles titles, the 2008 Olympic gold medal in singles, 28 titles in ATP World Tour Masters 1000 events, and 17 ATP World Tour 500 tournaments (a record tied with Roger Federer).
- He was also a member of the winning Spain Davis Cup team in 2004, 2008, 2009, and 2011. In 2010, he became the seventh player in history and youngest of four in the Open Era to achieve the Career Grand Slam at age 24.
- He is the second male player, after Andre Agassi, to complete the singles Career Golden Slam. In 2011, Nadal was named the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year.
ITF Futures Tournament 2016
- Yuki Bhambri defeated second seed Shintaro Imai of Japan in the final of the S 10000 ITF Futures tennis tournament on December 26, 2016.
- It was the 11th singles title in tine Futures circuit for Yuki who has five Challenger titles as well.
- He had won two Challenger titles last year en route to reaching a career-best rank of 88.
Women’s Junior World Cup 2016
- Argentina won the women’s Hockey Junior World Cup 2016 as they defeated Netherlands 4-2 in an exhilarating, high quality final in front of a capacity crowd in Santiago, Chile on December 7, 2016.
- The Hockey Junior World Cup, is an international field hockey competition organised by the International Hockey Federation (F1H).
- The tournament was started in 1979. Since 1985, it has been held every four years. Competitors must be under the age of 21 as of December 31 in the year before the tournament is held.
- There is also a corresponding event for the women’s junior teams. This competition started in 1989 and uses the same format as the men’s event.
- Five countries have dominated the event’s history. Germany is the most successful team, having won the tournament six times. Argentina, Australia, India and Pakistan have each won the tournament once.
Men’s Junior World Cup 2016
- India beat Belgium 2-1 in the final to lift the Men’s Hockey Junior World Cup title for the second time in their history on December 20, 2016. India also became the second team after Germany to win the title for more than once.
- India doubled the lead in the 22nd minute through Simranjeet Singh who scored a field goal. India led 2-0 at half-time. Belgium pressed hard to score goals but Indian defence was solid and did not allow any goal to the opponents.
- The 2016 Men’s Hockey Junior World Cup was the 11th edition of the Hockey Junior World Cup for men. an international field hockey tournament.
Read Also – State Current Affairs
Kids Golf World Championship 2016
- Arjun Bhati outshined India in (he Kfrfs Golf World Championship 2016 in Malaysia defeating: South Africa’s Methu Drntsh to secure the first position qp Decrmber 21.2016.
- During the three-level final match. Arjun scored a total of 2M points followed by South Africa and Malaysia with second and third position with 256 and 259 respectively.
- He recently won the Albatross Internationa) Junior Golf Championship India 2016 and secured the first position.
- Kids Golf World Championship is a special opportunity for boys and girls between ages 5 to 18 years to play in a world competition organised by the US Kids Golf Foundation.
India-England Test Series 2016
- India’s victory over England in the recently concluded Test series was full of landmarks for Virat Kohli and his men on December 20, 2016.
- India posted their highest Test match score ever of 759/7 in the first innings of the 5th Test match at Chennai.
- Kanin Nair became the second Indian player to score a triple century in Test cricket. His unbeaten knock of 3.03 in Chennai was the cornerstone of India highest Test score ever.
- Viral Kohli became the first Indian captain to register three double centuries in a calendar year when he scored 235 in the first innings of the 4th Test match in Mumbai.
- Ravichandran Ashwin became the second Indian player to complete the double of 250 runs and 25 wickets in the series. He scored 306 runs in the series and picked up 28 wickets.
- This is the first time in the last foo years of Test cricket that two players took more than 20+ wickets and also had two or more half-centuries to their name. The players in question here being Ravichandran.