Telangana and Maharashtra Inked Pact on Godavari Water Projects
- Chief Minister of Telangana, K. Chandrasekhar Rao and Chief Minister of Maharashtra Devendra Fadnavis, signed a MoU at Mumbai on March 8, 2016 on setting-up an inter-State water board on Godavari projects.
- The agreement will pave the pay for the two States to work out mutually-agreeable specifications on the construction of Medigadda barrage, 20 km downstream of Kaleshwaram in Warangal District, as part of the Kaleshwaram Project, a component of the redesigned Pranahita-Chevella project.
- The barrage would allow irrigation of 16.4 lhkh acres in Telangana and over 50000 acres in some tribal areas of Maharashtra with the help of four small lift irrigation schemes. With this they ended decades of discord between the two States on utilisation of I water in the river Godavari and its tributaries.
Karnataka Launched Welfare Scheme for Road Accident Victims
- Carnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah launched Mukhyamantri Santwana Harish Yojana on March 8, 2016 for the benefit of road accident victims in the State. This scheme has the facility of helpline numbers, 108 and 104.
- Under this scheme, the road accident victim admitted to a hospital will be treated free of cost for the first 48 hours for which the State i government will pay Rs 25000 to the hospital. The State government had already sanctioned Rs 10 crore for this purpose and it is expected to allocate Rs 75 crore in the forthcoming Budget.
- This scheme is named after Harish Nanjappa who met with a road accident near Nelamangala in the month of February, 2016. Though Harish’s body was severed badly, he donated his eyes moments before his death.
Haryana Signed 11 MoUs on Opening Day of Global Investors’ Summit
- The Haryana government signed 11 MoUs on March 1, 2016 involving a total investment of 18159 crore with different companies on the first day of the two-day “Happening Haryana Global Investors’Summit-2016” at Gurgaon.
- These agreements included an MOD of Rs 15000 crorfe for financial services signed with ICICI, and a Rs 2000 crore MoU for electronics, IT and IT enabled Services (ITeS) with Bharti Airtel.
- Another MoU involving an investment of 7 263 crore was signed with Star Wire (India) Limited for manufacturing special and critical steel by adopting high-tech technologies.
- Another MoU of Rs 200,crqre.was signed with Minda Kosei – Aluminium Wheel Private Limited fpr automobile parts, and alloy wheels.
- Another MoU of Rs 190 crore was signed with Honda for worker housing.
- Another MoU of Rs T50 crore was signed with Plasser India Private Limited for manufacturing unit for track maintenance machines.
- Other MoUs of Rs 100 crore each were signed with Minda Industries Limited and Mindarika Private Limited for automobile parts switches.
Mizo Grand Festival ‘Chapchar Kut’ Celebrated Across the State
- Chapchar Kut, the most important traditional festival Of the Mizos, was observed across Mizoram on March 4, 2016 with the grand celebration being held at the Assam Rifles ground af Aizawl. Home Minister R. Lalzirliana was the ‘Kut Pa.’ or father of the festival while Art and Culture Minister R. Romawia was the diost’of the event,
- The celebration was marked with gaiety as exuberant dancers, dressed in traditional attire, danced to the tune of typical music and songs while popular Mizo dances including Cheraw (bamboo dance), Sarlamkai, Chheihlam and Khuallam were performed by different cultural troupes from 84 YMA branches in Aizawl.
- Well-known singers and pop groups also performed in different plages where the Kut was celebrated. Traditionalrcostume parade, exhibit of Mizo dresses, through the years was also held. Chapchar Kut was also celebrated in ah the district headquarters and many villages.
UP Assembly Passed Revenue Code Bill
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly passed a bill replacing an ordinance on March 4,2016 that will allow Dalits to sell their land to non-Dalits in the State if they are left With less than 3.5 acre of land.
- The ordinance to amend the pre-British era revenue law was replaced by Uttar Pradesh Revenue Code (Amendment) Bill, 2016. It also-provision that allows land owners lease out their land for share-cropping purpose Without the fear of losing it after 12 years.
- The new bill has also provisions for setting-up of a new judicial cadre that will look after land revenue disputes in order to end disputes especially in cases of partnership. The new bill also ensures that a woman gets equal rights on the gram samaj land given out on a lease signifying step towards empowerment of rural women.
Visit Current-Affairs.org for latest current affairs, previous year question papers, free online quiz for SSC and others, Study material and lot more. If you need any question paper or online quiz, drop your comment below.