Tommy has been in charge of the kitchen at The Black Swan at Oldstead for the past ten years; he and his family are the owners and operators of the business.
They have a long history of residing in and farming the area around Oldstead; it is largely considered to be their creation, and it is largely considered to be Tommy’s love.
Tommy has attained a significant deal of attention and fame on a national level. When The Black Swan kept its Michelin star in September 2013, he was the youngest chef in Britain, having just turned 24 years old.
This made him the youngest Michelin-starred chef in Britain.
Table of Contents
Who Is Charlotte Banks (Tommy Banks Wife)?
On December 3, 2022, Tommy Banks and Charlotte Banks tied the knot and became husband and wife. Over the course of seven years, Tommy and Charlotte have been a couple.
She entered this world on July 7, 1990, and her age as of right now is 32 years old.
Charlotte Banks, just like her husband, is a serious foodie and has a lot of experience in the kitchen. She is also extremely excellent at preparing many types of dishes. The two people in the relationship have not discussed how they first came to know each other, but they appear to be content in their partnership.
The wedding took place at Shipton by Beningbrough, where the pair also exchanged their vows. The marriage has brought the pair a great deal of happiness.
In addition, they are the parents of a young girl who is already older than a year. In addition, the couple shares their home with a cocker spaniel named Socks. The celebrity chef has given his dog his own individual account on the photo-sharing platform Instagram.
Charlotte Banks keeps a tight lid on her personal life, and as a result, her Instagram profile is locked down. Despite the fact that her Twitter account is public and named under @Charl0tteBanks, she only has 317 followers but has 625 followers that follow her.
Her Twitter account has a significantly larger following than her Instagram account has. The username of the account is “charlottekenny.” The account has a total of 86 followings in addition to 59 followers.
Tommy Banks: Career Details
- Banks’ parents made the purchase of the pub and restaurant The Black Swan at Oldstead in 2006, when he was just 17 years old, and he quickly became involved in the management of the establishment.
- He got a job in the kitchen and quickly became interested in learning how to cook.
- Although he did not have any professional training as a chef, he worked multiple unpaid stages in restaurants that earned Michelin stars.
- One of those stages included a week spent in Raymond Blanc’s restaurant in Oxfordshire called Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons.
- In 2012, when Adam Jackson was working as the head chef at The Black Swan restaurant, the establishment was awarded its first Michelin Star.
- Banks took over as head chef at The Black Swan after Jackson left in June 2013 to open his own restaurant. Jackson had been the restaurant’s previous chef.
- When the restaurant was awarded another Michelin Star the following year, Banks became the youngest chef in history to be honored with the prestigious accolade at the age of 24.
- The family started cultivating a three-acre kitchen garden in the area next to the restaurant in 2013.
- Crapaudine beetroot, Black Truffe potatoes, and Wineberries are a few examples of the unusual foods that the Banks are able to serve as a result of having their own garden, which enables them to grow their own special varieties of vegetables and fruits that are not available anywhere else.
- Roots, Banks’ first cookbook, was released by The Orion Publishing Group on April 5, 2018, and it went on to become the winner of the Chef category at the 2018 Gourmand World Cookbook Awards in the United Kingdom.
- Roots, the Banks family’s second restaurant, opened in the city center of York on September 15, 2018, co-founded by Banks, his longtime friend and business partner Matthew Lockwood, and the Banks family.
- The restaurant features a tasting menu and also makes use of produce that is grown in the garden and on the farm and that is delivered to the city every day. The product is then used in the restaurant.
- Made in Oldstead is an upscale meal box delivery service that was established by Banks and Lockwood in March of the year 2020.
- After the temporary shutdown of their restaurants as a result of COVID-19, this was largely created to assist in paying the suppliers as well as the personnel who were unable to take a furlough.
- However, in July of 2020, they made the announcement that the food boxes will continue to be an integral part of the company and would continue to deliver three-course and five-course meals to customers’ homes all throughout the United Kingdom.
Tommy Banks With Chef James Martin
View this post on Instagram
Tommy Banks: Reality TV Appearance
Banks was a contestant on Great British Menu in the year 2016. In the championship round, he triumphed in the fish course with a dish titled “Preserving the Future,” which earned him first place.
Additionally, Tommy competed in the Christmas special of the Great British Menu, where he was victorious in the petit four competition named “Twas the Night Before Christmas.”
Tommy served as a co-host for the 2018 season of The Big Family Cooking Showdown alongside Angellica Bell.
Useful Chefs has made the services of Tommy Banks, a Michelin-starred head chef in the United Kingdom, accessible for public relations work and personal appearances.
Tommy Banks: Childhood And Family
Tommy Banks was born and reared in the quaint community of Oldstead, which is located in North Yorkshire. There, he spent his childhood alongside his parents, Tom and Anne Banks, as well as his older brother, James.
Tommy comes from a farming family; the Banks family has farmed in and around Oldstead for five generations. Tommy hails from a farming family. Before purchasing their neighborhood bar, The Black Swan, in 2006, the Banks family utilized their primary residence as a bed and breakfast.
When Tommy was younger, cooking and working in the hotel sector were never particularly high on his mental priority list.
He quit school during his A-Levels so that he could play cricket six days a week while also helping out in the family business, which was a tavern. His goal was to become a professional cricket player.
Unfortunately, when Tommy was 18 years old, he was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, which resulted in him requiring three major procedures and leaving him bedridden for a period of 18 months afterward.
It was during this period that he started reading a lot of cookbooks and watching a lot of cooking programs, which gave him a newfound enthusiasm for food and allowed him to go back to work with more determination and a more grounded perspective.
Tommy Banks Had Face Some Hard Time In Past
The family went through a difficult time during the recession of 2008. The pub experienced a decline in customer traffic, which resulted in a loss of revenue.
After it became apparent that simply operating a good bar would not be profitable, the family came to the conclusion that they should work toward making the Black Swan a popular dining destination instead.
Despite the fact that they claim they did not have a true plan at the time, something did work: the firm gradually expanded, and Tommy claims that even though they were never very busy, the business profited with every change they made.
It was at this point that Tommy came to the realization that he required additional direction, and he made the decision to return to farming.
When asked about the restaurant receiving a Michelin star, Tommy maintains his normally humble demeanor. He feels that the praise was really well deserved. “But for me, the highlight was when we started gaining notoriety and when we had a full restaurant.
The fact that the restaurant is packed on a Monday evening in the middle of February is the achievement of which I am most proud.
Working with one’s family can be challenging, but it is clear that the Bankses have found success in doing so.
Even though we have occasional minor differences, I do not believe that we would have been able to accomplish anything close to what we have without being a family-owned and operated firm.
Each of us has the other’s back. My parents are going to see a builder at the site of a new restaurant in York that we are launching later this year. This morning I am going to work because we have new items on the menu, and later today I will be meeting them there.