Sports Current Affairs
Tennis Current Affairs
ATP Dubai Open 2016
- Stan Wawrinka (Switzerland) has won the 2016 Dubai ATP Tennis title in the men’s singles category by defeating Marcos Baghdatis in the final played on February 27, 2016.
- It was his second ATP World Tour title of the year, following his third straight Chennai title in January, and B sixth straight victory over 30-year-old Baghdatis. He has won his past nine finals.
- Sara Errani (Italy) has won the 2016 Dubai ATP Tennis tfcte in the women’s singles category by defeating Barbora Suyoova of Czech Republic.
- Italian pair of Simone Bolelli and Andreas Seppi has won the title in the men’s doubles category by defeating the Spanish pair Feliciano Lopez and Marc Lopez.
- The pair of Chuang Chia-jung (Chinese Taipei) and Danya Jurak (Croatia) won the tide in the women’s doubles category by defeating the French pair of Caroline Garda and Kristina Mladenovic.
Petersburg Ladies Trophy 2016
- Santa Mirza the Indian tennis star and Martina Hingis from Swiss won the Sc Petersburg Ladies Trophy on February 15, 2016 in St. Petersburg, Russia.
- The top-seeded indo-Swiss pair conquered the Russian-Czech team of Vera Dushevina and Barbora Krejdkova in the women’s doubles final.
- The victory la the final was ensuing 40 match win. Sania and Hingis won the fourth title in 2016. They also won the women’s doubles Australian Open, Apia International Sydney tide and Brisbane Tennis trophy in 2016.
Australian Open 2016
- Novak Djokovic won 2016 Australian Open men’s singles title of tennis by defeating Andy Murray of Britain in the final played on January 31, 2016.
- Angehque Kerber (Germany) won the women’s singles tide by defeating defending champion Serena Williams in the final on January’ 30,2016. With this Kerber became the first German to win a major title since Steffi Graf in 1999.
- Sania Mirza (India) and Martina Hingis (Switzerland) won the women’s doubles tide by defeating Czech duo of Andrea Hlavackov a and Luck Hradecka on January 29,2016.
- The pair of Jamie Murray (UK) and Bruno Soares (Brazil) west men’s doubles title by defeating the pair of Darfid Nestor and Radek Stcpanek from Czech Republic.
- The pair of Elena Vesnina (Russia) and Bruno Soares (Brazil) has won the tide in the mixed doubles category by defeating the pair of Coco Vandeweghe (USA) and Horia Tecau (Romania).
Cricket Current Affairs
Ranji Trophy 2015-16
- Mumbai won the Ranji Trophy for a record 41st time with a comprehensive innings and 21-run victory over Saurashtra on day three of the five-day final in Pune on February 26, 2016.
- It was a repeal of the 2012-13 final where Mumbai had made short work of Saurashtra with an innings and 125-run triumph.
- Shreyas Iyer was deservingly named man of the match for his 117 in Mumbai’s only innings of the match.
- He ended the season as the leading run-getter with 1321 runs at 73.38 including four centuries and seven fifties.
- Mumbai Ranji Trophy champions have 41 titles to their name in 45 finals with 10 of them being an innings victory. Karnataka are a distant second in the overall Ranji standings with eight titles.