Union Government Unveiled Mineral Exploration Policy
- The Cabinet approved the National Mineral Exploration Policy (NMEP) on June 28, 2016 which will pave the way for auction of 100 prospective mineral blocks, boosting India’s mining potential.
- It will attract private sector in exploration, besides involving State-run Geological Survey of India (GSI), Mineral Exploration Corporation Limited (MECL) and other notified agencies.
- According to it, private entities engaged in carrying out regional and detailed exploration would get a certain share in revenue in mining operation from the successful bidder after the e-auction of the mineral block.
Union Government Slashed the Prices of 42 Essential Drugs
- The National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA), on June 27, 2016 slashed prices of 42 essential medicines used in treatment of various ailments including tuberculosis, cancer, cardiac diseases, asthma, epilepsy and depression have been capped by the government, reducing their cost by up to 15%.
- NPPA said manufacturers not complying with the ceiling price would be liable to deposit the overcharged amount along with interest thereon under the provisions of the Drugs (Price Control) Order, 2013.
- The government fixes the prices of essential drugs based on the simple average of all medicines in a particular therapeutic segment, having sales of more than 1%.
Union Government Launched Programme to Run Two Wheelers on CNG
- The Union government launched a programme to run two wheelers on Compressed Natural Gas (CNG), as it explores options to curb pollution on June 23, 2016. The programme is being implemented by Indraprastha Gas Limited (IGL) and one of its parent companies, GAIL (India) Limited.
- Adopting CNG is one of the ways that could help bring down air pollution in the country, where around seven out of 10 vehicles are two-wheelers that use petrol.