New Policy for Ads in Print Media Framed
- The Ministry of Information & Broadcasting framed a New Print Media Advertisement Policy for Directorate of Advertising & Visual Publicity (DAVP) with the objective to promote transparency and accountability in issuing of advertisements in print media on June 10, 2016.
- For the first time, the policy introduces a New Marking System for newspapers to incentivise newspapers who have better professional standing and get their circulation.
- The policy framework includes circulation verification Procedure for empanelment of Newspapers/ Journals with the DAVP. The policy also stipulates the empanelment procedure for Multi-Editions of a newspaper.
- The DAVP is the nodal agency of the government of India for advertising on behalf of various Ministries/Departments/ PSUs/Autonomous organisations which are funded by the government.
Country’s First ‘National Disaster Management Plan’ Released
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi released the National Disaster Management Plan (NDMP) on June 1, 2016 which aims to make India disaster resilient and reduces loss of lives.
- The plan is based on the four priority themes of the ‘Sendai Framework’, namely understanding disaster risk, improving disaster risk governance, investing in disaster risk reduction (through structural and non-structural measures) and disaster preparedness, early warning and building back belter in the aftermath of a disaster.
- The plan covers all phases of disaster management—Prevention, Mitigation, Response and Recovery. It provides for horizontal and vertical integration among all the agencies and departments of the government.