Union Government Signed a Contract for Exploration of Poly Metallic Sulphides
- The Union government signed 15 years contract with the ISA for undertaking exploration and other developmental activities related to Polymetallic Sulphides in the allotted area of 10000 sq km in Central and South-West Indian Ridges (SWIR), located in the Indian Ocean on June 15, 2016.
- It will enhance India’s presence in the Indian Ocean. The programme will be implemented by the Ministry of Earth Sciences with the participation from various national institutes and research laboratories and organisations.
- PMS containing iron, copper, zinc, silver, gold and platinum in variable constitutions are precipitates of hot fluids from upwelling hot magma from deep interior of the oceanic crust discharged through mineralised chimneys.
QS Asia University Rankings 2016 Released
- In the latest Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) rankings 2016, released on June 24, 2016, Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore and four IITs, Mumbai, Delhi, Madras and Kanpur placed in Asia’s top 50 universities.
- QS Evaluated 920 universities from the Asia region for this year’s rankings. India’s performance as a nation is the 5th best of the 17 countries with 23 universities; it is outperformed by Taiwan (34), South Korea (54), Japan (72), and China (82). Eleven Indian universities score the benchmark score of 100.0 for QS.
- In the overall rankings, the National University of Singapore and University of Hong Kong retained their first and second positions, respectively, for this year.
- The QS University Rankings : Asia highlights the top universities in Asia each year. The methodology used to create the ranking is similar to that used for the QS World University Rankings. It has been published annually since 2009.