Sports Current Affairs
Men’s T20 World Cup 2016
- West Indies emerged as champions of Men’s ICC T-20 World -Cup 2016 against England at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata on April 3, 2016. Led by Marlon Samuels’ unbeaten 85, West Indies chased down the target of 156 runs with two balls to spare.
- In the final match, England batting first had scored 155 runs for 9 wickets. West Indies successfully chased the target by scoring 161 runs in 19.4 over at the loss of 4 wickets. With this victory, West Indies became the only team who clinched their 2nd World T20 title. Earlier, it had won its first title in 2012 by defeating Sri Lanka.
- The 2016 ICC World Twenty20 was the 6th edition of the ICC World Twenty20, the world championship of Twenty20 International cricket. It was held in India from March 8 to April 3, 2016, and was the first edition to be hosted by India.
Women’s T-20 World Cup 2016
- West Indies has won their maiden Women’s World T-20 title by defeating reigning champions Australia by 8 wickets at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata on March 3, 2016.
- First Australia took the batting and had score 148 runs for 5 wickets. West Indies successfully chessed the target by scoring 149 runs in 19.3 over at the loss of 2 wickets. A world record 120-run opening partnership between Matthews and Taylor set-up the chase.
- Captain Stafanie Taylor of West Indies awarded the Player of the series award and Hayley Matthews of West Indies, an younger teammate awarded the Player of the match Award.
Irani Cup 2015-16
- Rest of India have continued their dominance in the Irani Trophy and they won 2015-16 title by defeating Mumbai in the final played at Brabourne Stadium in Mumbai on March 10, 2016.
- Rest of India overhauled the record victory target of 480 by making 482 for 6 on the fifthrand final day. They sealed the victory by four wickets.
- Since 2006-07, Karnataka was the only State that managed to win the trophy twice i.e., in 2013-14 and 2014-15. But since 2006, the remaining campaigns have been dominated by Rest of India.
Asia Cup 2016
- India won by eight wickets in the final of the Asia Cup at the Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium on March 6, 2016 by defeating host Bangladesh. This is the first time the Asia Cup was held in T20 format.
- Indian team overhauled the chasing target of 121 runs set by Bangladesh by seven balls to spare. With this victory, India lifted its sixth Asia Cup title. After India, Sri Lanka has won the continental title 5 times and then by Pakistan for twice.
- The 13th edition continental Asia Cup title was held in Bangladesh from February 24 to March 6, 2016. It was the fifth time to be held in Bangladesh. In this edition of Asia Cup T20 trophy 4 teams had participated including India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, UAE (Qualifier).
Hey, I am Mansi Agarwal – owner of this site. I am basically from Lucknow. I did B.Tech and now working as a full time blogger. Blogging is my passion and my permanent job also. If you have any suggestion for the improvement of this site then feel free to tell me. You can connect with me on FB and Twitter for more updates.